Spice up your life with this healthy meat free recipe, with Betsita’s habanero sauce, to add the perfect layering of zest and heat.
For a mild option, swap Habanero sauce with Chile de arbol sauce.
You won't believe is vegetarian.
- Betsita's habanero sauce
- 4 big portobello mushroom or 6 small
- 1 medium egg plant or 2 small
- ¼ onion
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic (depending on size)
- 5 grams of lime or lemon zest (around 1 tsp)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- 2 to 4 tbsp olive oil (depending on size of eggplant)
- 1 ½ cup of Gruyere cheese (or your favorite)
- 10 to 12 small tortillas (wheat or corn - gluten free option)
- 5 sprigs of fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Dice the egg plant in squares of around 1 ½ centimeters, toss with olive oil and set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Thinly slice the onion (or however you prefer).
- Use a fine grater, with small holes for the lime zest, continue turning and grating the lime until you have enough.
- Grate the cheese.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the butter, the garlic and onions, saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then add the eggplant (sprinkle with the lime zest) cook at medium high temperature until the eggplant is caramel brown in colour and soft to the touch.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 1 to 2 minutes (add a bit more oil if needed).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Deep the tortillas quickly in water to damp them(if prepackaged corn tortillas), before you cook them.
- Add the cheese on the tortillas, then the eggplant and mushrooms.
- Garnish with fresh oregano leaves.
- Drizzle Betsita’s habanero sauce on top.